Thursday, May 15, 2008

Techno Trapped?

Whoa - with all the new ways to connect with people things can get a little hairy here on the internet. I've been playing with social networking only for about 6 months now - haven't taken it too seriously though and one day about two weeks ago I went a little crazy - spent the whole day on the computer moving from one thing to the next and before I knew it my back was screaming from sitting all day, my eyes were strained and my body was completely sucked dry of any life force energy..... Between the blogging, tweeting, pulsing, posting, superwalling, friending, commenting, poking, prodding, following and being followed I was completely beaten up! And I of course did it to myself. So I've been taking a brief inventory and discovered that I now have profiles in the following social networks - Ning (3 groups), Facebook, MySpace (2 pages - one for me, one for FIREfest), Gather, Digg, Gaia, Blogger, FineArt America, Merchant Circle, Photobucket, Linked In, Plaxo Pulse and Twitter (I'm sure I've left something out of this list but this is what I've tracked at the moment). So I asked myself - Self? What ARE YOU DOING!!???? This is crazy!! When are you getting anything ACTUALLY accomplished if you are spending all your time tweeting , blogging, pulsing, following -etc.??? What is this all about?
Thank GOD I have the medicine work which keeps me grounded somewhat in the reality of living here on planet earth instead of being lost out in cyberspace forever. I unplugged for a few days to go to Omega Institute and finished my East Direction of the Healing The Light Body School. There we spent three full days - very full - working with the Death Rites. There is something incredibly sobering, incredibly beautiful and incredibly real about practicing the art of dying, helping others to do the same, and witnessing each person's "death bed" scenarios. After lots of tears, lots of energy movement and lots of healing I came back to my desk with a vastly changed perspective about what really matters. The truth? What really matters is what I make matter. So I'm out of this techno game for a while. I'll post when I feel the urge - until then I'm going to go outside, take a walk, smell the spring rain, admire the flowers, pet the dog, read to my kid, journal on paper, work with helping my clients to heal and enjoy the life that I've been gifted. It's good to be connected - but balance is the key.

No comments: