Friday, May 30, 2008

Honoring the Ancestors

Over the last few weeks I've been noticing some very major shifts in my life, my energy and my experiences. Having just come from the East direction of my Healing the Light Body school where we spent three days talking about death and practicing giving and receiving the death rites with each other has stirred up a lot at every level in my life. One of the pieces that emerged was the experience of having my energy level brought way down. I have felt drained, exhausted and uncreative ever since my return and it was clear to me that "something" was wrong.

I've had enough experiences with this work to know when to call in help for my self and so yesterday I had a session with one of my teachers Deborah Wray. She is a master shamaness and incredibly powerful healer and teacher and our work together was very profound. What led me to call her was a dream - in the dream I was traveling through my own underworld and "saw" a big grey globular attachment to my sacral chakra. After waking I called her right away to schedule my work which took place yesterday.

What she found was a two fold situation that needed to be cleared and illuminated. First my dad had been "living" in my energy field for the past 6 years since his death. How does this happen? Well if you are psychically open and someone passes who has not died consciously (in other words they haven't healed their own "stuff") they energetically can attach to and enter the field of the open person and literally be "living" off of that person's energy and light. How does this get resolved you might ask? The shaman or shamaness can perform what is known as "surrogate death rites" to clear, balance and illuminate the chakras of the deceased and then remove them from the light body of the client and send them to the place of the ancestors where they are greeted by their own relatives who have passed along with the Angels to continue their healing and resolution.

Immediately after my dad entered into the realm of the ancestors there was a new lightness and energizing of my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual bodies. But we weren't done - as she continued to work she intuited that a journey into my lower world was next. Here she discovered and cleared ancestral and generational patterns of struggle, disconnection from the Earth, alcoholism, and other forms of suffering that was initiated in my lineage from the Great Potato Famine in Ireland.

My "homework" to assist in processing and integrating this work is to create an altar to honor my ancestors. The purpose of this altar is to reap the benefits, gifts and lessons learned from all of my ancestors without having to "repeat" the patterns and the pain of their personal stories. It seems fitting that we have just celebrated Memorial Day. Perhaps we can each take time to honor our ancestors and to leave these old stories behind so that we don't have to live their lives again through our own. Including the stories of war and scarcity, suffering and lack.

If we can all just remember that the Pachamama (Mother Earth) will always provide for her children and maintain a strong and deeply personal bond with her we will re-member the abundance that is ever present in our world and be grateful for it and share with our fellow Earth citizens rather than trying to hoard it all for ourselves.

No comments: